News and Announcements
Following a vigorous trial process this month, Field Hockey BC have named the Under 18 girls provincial teams and the island amassed nine players on the top team, four on the second team and there will also be an Island-only provincial team. All three teams will compete at the U18 Senior National Championship in Surrey July 29-August 3.
Congratulations to the below athletes:
Krista Thompson (coach)
Ali Baggott (Coach)
Andy Rushton (Coach)
The upcoming Under 16 provincial team trials will take place May 20-23 at Tamanawis Park, Surrey.
Congratulations to all the island athletes and good luck in your upcoming summer training!
Thank you to everyone who made this ‘getting back to normal’ season possible:
- To the umpires for keeping us safe and reminding us about all the rules we forgot
- To the coaches for their patience as they helped us get the kinks out of our individual and team plan after a year off
- To the parents and partners for driving us to the field and putting up with our weekend warrior injuries
- To the players for everything they did to keep their teammates and opponents safe, healthy, and playing
Our Spring AGM is on Thursday, April 7th at Juan de Fuca Rec’s Lower Clubhouse at 7 pm. We have lots to discuss in anticipation of next season – we hope to see you there!
Anticipate our Fall AGM in early September 2022, with the season to start not long after that.
Have a great and safe summer!
Fingers crossed the rescheduled Junior World Cup moves ahead as planned April 1 – 12 in Potchefstroom, South Africa!
We’re looking forward to cheering on Island players Birkley Anderson (Duncan), Tayler Guy (Victoria), Stefanie Sajko (Victoria), and Jenna Goodman (Duncan). Full roster here.
Go Canada Go!
It has been an exciting couple of weeks in the field hockey world, with the Canadian Men’s and Women’s teams competing in the 2022 Pan American Cup tournament in Chile.
The Women’s team secured a berth in the 2022 World Cup, thanks to their bronze medal win.
The Men’s team played a solid tournament, with a third place finish.
Looking for videos? The Field Hockey Canada Twitter feed has great clips, and some strategic searching will find matches on YouTube.
Despite the frost, Spring is on its way…and that means Junior League!
The Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association offers a wonderful 10-week season to get kids aged 4-18 (birth years 2004-2017) playing our sport.
Please help spread the word!
- Registration for the League is limited this year and opens on February 11th
- Coaches needed! Whether you’ve been playing for a little time or a lifetime, they’d love your help. Coach sign up here and full details including schedule are here.
- Want to learn more? Check out the Victoria Junior Field Hockey Website.