News and Announcements
by Andy Watson, UVic Vikes Communications
VICTORIA – The University of Victoria will induct two former student-athletes and a new team into the University of Victoria Sports Hall of Fame at a ceremony on April 4 at the Victoria Conference Centre.
The announcement of the 2012 induction class was made during Alumni Week at the University of Victoria.
UVic swimmer Michael Edgson trained and competed with the Vikes varsity team competing against other able-bodied swimmers while experiencing a prolific career as a star Paralympian in the pool. He is one of the most decorated Paralympic athletes in Canadian history with 21 medals, winning a Canadian-best 18 gold medals, setting nine world records over three Paralympic Games (1984, 1988, 1992). Eleven (11) medals were won during his time as a UVic student.
Current Vikes women’s field hockey coach Lynne Beecroft will be inducted into the player’s category to recognize her outstanding career as a player at the interuniversity and national team level. As a star player with UVic from 1975-79, Beecroft was a member of the Vikes first Canada West championship team in her rookie season and went on to represent Canada at the Olympic Games in 1984, earning 58 caps with the Canadian national team.
In the team category, the UVic Vikes 1981-82 women’s basketball squad will be inducted, the first Vikes women’s hoops team to make the UVic Sports Hall of Fame. This team, coached by Kathy Shields, won the CIAU national championship, UVic’s third straight and third in program history, registering a record of 24-1, including a 10-0 undefeated showing on home court. Two players made the CIAU first-team all-star list – Luanne Krawetz (Hebb) and Tracie Sibbald (McAra). Along with Kathy Shields, they are already past members of the UVic Sports Hall of Fame.
Tickets are available for the Vikes Celebration of Champions which includes the Hall of Fame inductions combined with the Vikes annual Athletics Awards to recognize the outstanding achievements of UVic student-athletes over the past year. Tickets are $80 per person (plus HST) and may be purchased online. For more information please contact Janine Prince by phone at (250) 472-4772 or via email.
The deadline to order tickets is Thursday March 29 at 5 p.m.
Michael Edgson, Swimming (Athlete)
- Trained with the Vikes beginning in 1987
- One of the most decorated Paralympian athletes in Canadian history
- Won 18 gold and 3 silver medals, setting 9 World records over 3 Paralympic Games
- Represented Canada at three Paralympics Games (1984, ‘88, ’92)
- Three-time recipient of BC Disabled Athlete of the Year award (1984, ’88, ’90)
- Finalist for the Canadian Athlete of the Year award in 1992
- First Paralympic swimmer to be inducted into Swimming Canada’s Circle of Excellence (2009)
Lynne Beecroft, Field Hockey (Athlete)
- Competed with the Vikes from 1975-79
- Member of UVic’s first Canada West championship team (1975)
- Member of the BC Provincial team from 1975-84, and won Senior National championship in 1980
- 58 caps with the National team (1977-85)
- participated in three World Cups (1978, ’81, ’83) and one Olympic Games (1984)
- helped Canada to a silver medal at the 1983 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur
- has coached the Vikes for 28 years, winning 11 CIS Championships
1981-82 Women’s Basketball Team
- CIAU National Champions (UVic’s 3rd straight/ 3rd overall)
- Canada West Champions
- Regular Season record of 19-1 (24-1 Overall)
- Perfect 10-0 at home
- During the regular season they outscored opponents 1582-974
- Outscored opponents at Nationals by a 96 point margin (223-127)
- Defeated Bishop’s 70-55 in the National Finals
- Placed two players on Canada West 1st team All-Stars (Hebb, McAra)
- Hebb awarded CIAU player of the year, CIAU Tournament MVP, CIAU 1st team All-Canadian
- Team coached by Kathy Shields. Players included Sandy Espeseth, Leslie Kaehn (Godfrey), Shawnee Harle, Luanne Krawetz (Hebb), Sandy Chambers, Janine Prince, Susie Neil, Tracie Sibbald (McAra), Jamie Jones (Mackie), Sue Shaw, Shelley Godfrey
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Greg Streppel, Swimming
Eric Hinrichsen, Basketball
1970-71 Men’s Rugby Team
Hall of Fame Class of 2010
Laurelee Kopeck, Field Hockey
Tracie McAra (Sibbald), Basketball
Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Kelly Dukeshire, Basketball
Carey Nelson, Cross Country
1983 Men’s Rowing, Varsity Eight
Hall of Fame Class of 2007
Gary Dukelow, Rugby
Robyn Meagher, Cross Country/Track
Deb Whitten, Field Hockey
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Kirsten Barnes, Rowing
Gerald Kazanowski, Basketball
Luanne Krawetz (Hebb), Basketball
Howard Petch, Builder
1975 Men’s Soccer, Team
Hall of Fame Class of 2005
Rochelle Low, Field Hockey
Robbie Parris, Basketball
Eli Pasquale, Basketball
Pam Rai, Swimming
Mark Wyatt, Rugby
Hall of Fame Class of 2004
Jon Kelly, Swimming
Al Morrow, Rowing
Debbie Scott, Cross Country/Track
1984-85 Women’s Field Hockey, Team
Hall of Fame Class of 2003
Howard Gerwing, Rugby
Nancy Mollenhauer (Charlton), Field Hockey
Derek Porter, Rowing
1979-80 Men’s Basketball, Team
Hall of Fame Class of 2002
Lorne Loomer, Rowing
Wally Milligan, Soccer
Gareth Rees, Rugby
Ken Shields, Basketball
Kathy Shields, Basketball
Comox Valley Indoor Tournament
Dates: March 10-11, 2012.
Location: Comox Recreation Center
Fun, Social and Learning tournament and not overly competitive
Saturday Evening Social
Registration Fee will be charged but will depend on the size of the team and who you are playing with….if we have enough interested players from Victoria, we can put together our own team.
If any of your players are interested, could they please contact Kate Knappett ASAP (there is a deadline on the first one right now) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Knappett is also recruiting players for the following tournaments:
Vancouver International Tournament
Dates: May Long Weekend
Location: Burnaby Lakes Sport Complex – Turf fields
Again Nanaimo and Comox Valley would love to have players from the Lower island join them.
Always a good time.
Golden Oldies Tournament
Details: In Hawaii, September 2013
Ancient Mariners always looking for new talent.
Hockey skills are not required. Party and dance skills are!!
Contact: Arlene Baker E-mail: email@example.com
We are pleased to announce that registration for the 2012 Spring League is now available at www.victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca! This year’s League runs 31 March – 24 June 2012 at UVIC for boys and girls aged 5 through 21. We hope you will join us for another season of fun, fitness, and friendship!
Please help us spread the word! If you have friends who haven’t played field hockey but would like to try it out, invite them to our “Come Try the Game Free” days, Sunday, February 5th and Sunday, March 4th (10:30 – 11:30) at UVic’s Field #3. Equipment is provided and coaches are on hand to introduce the game through fun activities. Sign up is available on our website, www.victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca.
This year, we are pleased to announce a Junior League Stick Exchange – bring your child’s outgrown stick to our Come Try the Game Free days (February 5th and March 4th, 10:30 – 11:30) and find a better sized stick to see your child through the season. All stick donations are warmly received.
All games CANCELLED for January 21st.
We’re not confident the rain will clear the field tonight.
Thank you for your understanding. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Denise and the VILFHA Executive
The 4th Annual Celebration of Women in Sport (WinS) event will be taking place on place April 1, 2012 again at the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence (PISE) on the Camosun College Interurban Campus.
Those being celebrated will include student athletes, national team members, Olympians, and Hall of Fame inductees.
Details are attached.