News and Announcements
The Vancouver Island Men’s Field Hockey Association (VIFHA) is looking to hire a new League Administrator to start immediately.
Please find attached a Roles & Responsibilities document outlining the duties of the VIFHA League Administrator. We are looking to hire a new administrator to take over for the 2021-22 season. Much of the legwork for the league schedule has been completed. Training and transition support will be provided.
A committee led by the VIFHA President Nic Loewen and the league executive will conduct the hiring process.
An honorarium of $1,000 will be provided for the year. This may be pro-rated depending on the successful candidate’s start date.
Please circulate to hockey friends and families you think may be interested in taking on this key role for the men’s league.
Photo Credit: Chris Wilson / Island Wave Photography
Four Vancouver Island based athletes, all who grew up as members of VILFHA, are currently representing Canada at the Junior Pan American Championships in Santiago, Chile. Duncan’s Sara Goodman (UBC Thunderbirds, Cowichan FHC), as well as Victoria’s Anna Mollenhauer (UVic Vikes, Lynx), Stefanie Sajko (UVic Vikes, Lynx) and Nora Struchtrup (UVic Vikes, Sailors FHC) are helping Canada punch their ticket to the 2022 Junior World Cup. The Canadian women opened game one, Aug. 21, with a 0-0 tie against Uruguay. It will come down to both teams’ result against Argentina to see who comes out of pool play.
PAY-PER-VIEW LIVE STREAM: https://www.passline.com/panam-junior-hockey/
ROSTERS, SCHEDULES, RESULTS: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/junior-pan-american-championships-women/
Team Canada’s roster is peppered with experienced junior national team names such as UBC Thunderbirds, Sara Goodman, Thora Rae, Jordyn Faiczak and UVic Vike, Anna Mollenhauer, all of whom have senior international caps under their belt. They will look to bring that leadership and experience to this event, where even a few well-timed performances can vault the team into the World Cup. UBC TBird Ishaval Sekhon and Lucy Wheeler of West Van will be sharing duties in the Canadian net.
The original U21 Pan Am Cup was scheduled for 2020 but will now take place in August 2021. The age restrictions shifted to recognize the postponement of the tournament. Anyone born in 1999 or later will be eligible to compete in the Junior Pan American Cup but only those born in 2000 or later are eligible to compete in the Junior World Cup.
There is a strong NCAA contingent on this Canadian team as well. Madison Workman of Miami, Julia Ross from Maine, Dani Husar of Virgina, Bronwyn Bird from Dartmouth and Jenna Berger of UMass Lowell will all look to bring their college experience into the fold in Chile. Both the Canadian and American University system have a history of shepherding players from the junior level into the senior national team, and both are on full display this week.
Patrick Tshutshani took over the role as Nextgen Director and Junior Head Coach in 2019. Since then, he’s been working with this next generation cohort. They have been to camps and tournaments and played with and against each other for several years. This type of established chemistry will be a benefit as the tournament progresses. Tshutshani is joined on the bench by assistant coach and long-time FHBC coach, Jenn Beagan.
Victoria’s Nancy Mollenhauer is also on the ground as the team’s manager.
We’re beyond delighted to let you know that we’re starting the wheels in motion for a safe and fun 2021-22 season of field hockey!
Our Fall Meeting will be on Tuesday, September 7th at 7 pm at Juan de Fuca Rec Centre. Virtual option available, let us know if and how you’ll be attending via email@example.com
Our season will start on Saturday, September 18th at UVIC and Cowichan Sportsplex.
Looking to join a team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll connect you.
Here’s to a GREAT season back!
Field Hockey Victoria is looking for a new Turf Coordinator for start in September 2021. FHV would like to thank Tanya McKinney for fulfilling this role so dutifully since 2014.
Field Hockey Victoria (FHV) is the umbrella organization for the Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association (VJFHA), the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association (VILFHA), the Vancouver Island Field Hockey Association (VIFHA) and the Umpires Association. One of the main responsibilities of this organization is to oversee the relationship and procedures for booking the artificial water-based field (Field 1) at the University of Victoria.
The FHV Turf Coordinator shall:
• Schedule bookings of all turf times for the field hockey community in Victoria, except UVic teams.
• Provide field use permit(s) to each group if needed.
• Provide a listing of booked times and available times on request to any group.
• Provide UVic Athletics and Recreation with all cancellations, revisions and requests as per agreement with UVic.
• Invoice user groups at least quarterly – in conjunction with the FHV Treasurer.
• Report to the Board as directed.
The successful candidate can demonstrate:
• An ability to schedule sports groups with competing needs using a priority matrix, required.
• Possess strong computer skills and up-to-date software, including email, Excel and Adobe Reader, required.
• Good communication and organizational skills, essential.
• Knowledge of the Victoria field hockey community, preferred.
• Be available each week throughout the year to manage the bookings and communication, required – local availability is not required as the duties can be conducted using email.
Appointment & Annual Review
• Appointment will be for one year commencing September 1, 2021
• Continuation of appointment with be subject to annual performance and suitability review by the FHV Board
• Preference will be given to candidates who do not currently sit on one of the Field Hockey Victoria members boards.
• Renumeration: $250 per month based on approximately 12 hours of work per month
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position via e-mail to Mark Baggott, President Field Hockey Victoria at email@example.com no later than August 22, 2021 at 11:59pm. All questions may also be directed to Mark at the above email address.
The document FHV-TurfCoordinator-Posting-2021.pdf was attached to this post.
Cheering for the Men’s National Team but worried that shouting at your TV/computer/tablet isn’t quite doing it?
Show your support by sending some Road to Tokyo Fanmail.
GO TEAM CANADA!