News and Announcements
This weekend, Oct. 5-7, will be action-packed for field hockey!
The Annual Bridgman Cup high school girls tournament will be on all day from Friday to Sunday. Local teams Oak Bay, GNS, Mount Douglas, Cowichan Secondary and SMUS will all be participating in the 16-team tournament. Friday games run from 10am-6pm, Saturday games are 8am-5pm and Sunday games start at 8am and end with the final at 2:00 pm.
A full Bridgman Cup schedule is attached to this notice.
In addition, the Vikes women’s field hockey team are hosting the Legends Cup match up against the UBC Thunderbirds. The Vikes and T-Birds will clash on both Saturday, Oct. 6 and Sunday, Oct. 7 at 11:00 a.m. The Vikes and T-Birds are participating in a school rivalry series across several sports and at the end of the year a new trophy, the Legends Cup, will be presented to the winning school The series will run annually. For more information and a full schedule visit govikesgo.com/legendscup
Tickets for the Vikes games are available online at govikesgo.com/tickers or in person at the CARSA Membership Services Counter.
VENDORS IN VICTORIA
With the Bridgman Cup happening there will be lots of vendors on site on Friday, Saturday and some of Sunday. Be sure to come to UVic to shop this once-a-year opportunity to buy from vendors:
- Field Hockey Shack
- Hockey King Sports (AK Pro)
Deb Whitten, former National goalkeeper for Canada, is being inducted into the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, October 27 at the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa. Tickets for this event are $135 and can be purchased at www.gvshof.ca/events.html.
As a goaltender, Deb was a member of the Canadian National Field Hockey team and competed in the World Cup in 1990 and 1994, the Pan American Games in 1991 (silver medallists) and 1995 (bronze medallists) and the Olympic Games in 1992. She continues to give back to the sport community as she currently sits on the Board of Directors at PISE and serves as President of the Board of Directors for BC School Sports.
Vancouver Island Field Hockey Umpires Association (VIFHUA) is looking for a new Umpire Coordinator! The VIFHUA Umpire Coordinator will be responsible for scheduling, assigning and communicating with Field Hockey Victoria umpires. The position spans the start of the first regular season games to the end of the playing season, and is paid an honorarium of $2000, in two payments. Full job description and application details are attached to this posting. Application deadline is Friday, August 31, 2018.
The VILFHA Fall Annual General Meeting will be held:
Tuesday, September 4 at 7 pm
Room 329A, PISE, 4371 Interurban Road
* As per Regulations 4.1 c) Fines shall be imposed on any team: iv. For not having a Team Rep at Council meetings and/or General Meetings $25.00
The meeting agenda is attached to this notice. We will be ratifying the 2018 Fall schedule at this meeting and putting forward the following motion for some proposed amendments to the Constitution, Bylaws and Rules& Regulations to ensure they are in line with the Societies Act:
The members of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association resolve to repeal and replace the existing Constitution, Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association with the following documents to meet the requirements of the Societies Act (2016) of British Columbia:
• Constitution of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
• Bylaws of the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
• Rules and Regulations Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association, 2018
We will also be reviewing three vacant Executive positions that need to be filled. We would like to thank the hard work and dedication of the following VILFHA Executive members:
• Ronnie Lee, Director of Operations
• Kate Knappett, Director of Events
• Ali Lee, Director of Communications
• Teresa Gregus, Secretary
These women volunteered a lot of their time to help support the League, and now we need some others to step up! See below for position descriptions and let Sandy Grimwood (email@example.com) know if you are interested in volunteering or have any questions.
Director of Events:
• Oversee the activities of the Events committee members and ensure that events are staged professionally and efficiently.
• Offer support and director to the committee members.
• Maintain regular contact with the committee members.
• Liaise with the Director of Communications to ensure that events are properly publicized.
• Ensure that all events are used as fund raising opportunities.
• Liaise with the Field Hockey Victoria Special Events Committee.
• Attend Executive and Council meetings to report on the activities of her committee members.
• Have the following committee members reporting to her: Bunyan Tournament, Bridgman Cup, Masters Tournament, Finals Day, Social
• Events, Hosting Committees and other committee members as necessary.
• Assist the President in the duties of her office.
• Carry overall responsibility for the administrative side of the league’s operations, and support and provide advice to the Treasurer and Director of Membership, Events, and Communications. In the event of a Director’s absence or resignation the Second Vice-President will assume the Director’s role.
• Act as the chair of the Awards Committee
• Keep minutes of all meetings of the Association and issue minutes to members.
• Issue notices of meetings of the Association.
• Conduct the correspondence of the Association.
• Have custody of the records and documents of the Association, save those required to be kept by the Treasurer.
• Be a signing officer of the Association.
Director of League Operations:
• Oversee the activities of the League Operations Coordinators and ensure that tasks are completed in a timely fashion.
• Offer support and direction to her Committee members.
• Ensure that the playing objectives of the Association are met in that all teams play games on a regular basis, teams are treated fairly in terms of the use of the fields, umpiring assignments and schedule, and all teams are informed of changes to the schedule and other pertinent intonation
• Compile weekly results and standings
• Attend Executive and Council meetings to report on the activities of her committee.
• Have the following committee members reporting to her: Scheduling, Umpiring, and Facilities
We look forward to seeing you on September 4!
Field Hockey Canada is looking for men and women (masters age categories) who are interested in competing at the World Masters Hockey Indoor World Cup. The date of the event is February 14-17, 2019. Deadline to indicate your interest is August 24, 2018.
Age Groups (Men’s & Women’s): 35+, 40+, 45+, 50+, 55+, 60+
Host Venue: Hong Kong Football Club, Hong Kong
Entry Fee: US$800 per team, Entries Close: 1 September 2018
- Deadline for indicating your interest is August 24, 2018.
- If you have questions, please write to Vernon Grattan-King: Grattan2006@yahoo.com
- Interest will determine how many age groups are entered