News and Announcements
UPDATE: Who's excited for our 2021-2022 Season?!
We’re beyond delighted to let you know that we’re starting the wheels in motion for a safe and fun 2021-22 season of field hockey!
Our Fall Meeting will be on Tuesday, September 7th at 7 pm at Juan de Fuca Rec Centre. Virtual option available, let us know if and how you’ll be attending via firstname.lastname@example.org
Our season will start on Saturday, September 18th at UVIC and Cowichan Sportsplex.
Looking to join a team? Email us at email@example.com and we’ll connect you.
Here’s to a GREAT season back!
JOB POSTING: FHV Turf Coordinator
Field Hockey Victoria is looking for a new Turf Coordinator for start in September 2021. FHV would like to thank Tanya McKinney for fulfilling this role so dutifully since 2014.
Field Hockey Victoria (FHV) is the umbrella organization for the Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association (VJFHA), the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association (VILFHA), the Vancouver Island Field Hockey Association (VIFHA) and the Umpires Association. One of the main responsibilities of this organization is to oversee the relationship and procedures for booking the artificial water-based field (Field 1) at the University of Victoria.
The FHV Turf Coordinator shall:
• Schedule bookings of all turf times for the field hockey community in Victoria, except UVic teams.
• Provide field use permit(s) to each group if needed.
• Provide a listing of booked times and available times on request to any group.
• Provide UVic Athletics and Recreation with all cancellations, revisions and requests as per agreement with UVic.
• Invoice user groups at least quarterly – in conjunction with the FHV Treasurer.
• Report to the Board as directed.
The successful candidate can demonstrate:
• An ability to schedule sports groups with competing needs using a priority matrix, required.
• Possess strong computer skills and up-to-date software, including email, Excel and Adobe Reader, required.
• Good communication and organizational skills, essential.
• Knowledge of the Victoria field hockey community, preferred.
• Be available each week throughout the year to manage the bookings and communication, required – local availability is not required as the duties can be conducted using email.
Appointment & Annual Review
• Appointment will be for one year commencing September 1, 2021
• Continuation of appointment with be subject to annual performance and suitability review by the FHV Board
• Preference will be given to candidates who do not currently sit on one of the Field Hockey Victoria members boards.
• Renumeration: $250 per month based on approximately 12 hours of work per month
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position via e-mail to Mark Baggott, President Field Hockey Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 22, 2021 at 11:59pm. All questions may also be directed to Mark at the above email address.
The document FHV-TurfCoordinator-Posting-2021.pdf was attached to this post.
Send words of encouragement to the Men's National Team
Cheering for the Men’s National Team but worried that shouting at your TV/computer/tablet isn’t quite doing it?
Show your support by sending some Road to Tokyo Fanmail.
GO TEAM CANADA!
Support Canada in Tokyo - Schedule, Roster
The 18-member Canadian men’s national team roster has been announced for the upcoming Tokyo Olympic games. The team leaves on Monday, July 12 for staging ahead of the 12-team tournament which kicks off on Jul. 24. Canada will face a pool that includes European greats Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and Great Britain, as well as South Africa.
There are many ways you can tune in and show your support for Team Canada in Tokyo.
Canada’s pool-play schedule: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
FIH Full schedule: http://fih.ch/media/13350272/fih_tokyo2020_hockeyinvites.pdf
Canada pool play:
Jul. 24: Canada vs Germany (3:00 PDT)
Jul. 25: Canada vs Great Britain (19:45 PDT)
Jul. 27: Canada vs Netherlands (4:45 PDT)
Jul. 28: Canada vs Belgium (18:00 PDT)
Jul. 29: Canada vs South Africa (20:15 PDT)
Send a message to Team Canada:
Field Hockey Canada is delighted to be sending off our Canadian Men’s National Team on their journey to Tokyo 2020 this Monday. In support of their journey, they have created a “Fan Mail” submission form for the purpose of gathering messages of encouragement that can be sent to them digitally during the Games.
Fill it out here:
The games will be broadcast on CBC and Field Hockey Canada will be hosting LIVE watch parties for you to join and watch with FHC fans across the country (and world!).
FHC Event Page: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
Go Canada go!
Photo Credit: Blair Shier
Support Island Junior National Team athletes
Four Vancouver Island athletes have been named to Canada’s women’s junior national team who head off to Santiago, Chile for the Pan American Junior Championships, August 21-28, 2021. A ticket to the Junior World Cup (2023) is on the line.
Duncan’s Sara Goodman along with Victoria’s Nora Struchtrup, Stefanie Sajko and Anna Mollenhauer were all named to the 16-member field player roster, while Niki Leech, of Duncan, is still waiting to hear about goalkeeper announcements.
All five athletes competed in a NextGen selection camp in Vancouver earlier in June along side Victoria’s Libby Hogg and Maddie Middlesteadt and Duncan’s Birkley Anderson – all three who were named to the Junior Pan Am Championship development team roster.
It was a positive showing that all eight island athletes that attended the selection camp were named to either the 18-person roster or the development squad.
Goodman and Anderson are both members of the UBC Thunderbirds varsity side with Goodman in her fourth year and Anderson in her first. Two-time U SPORTS reigning national champion Mollenhauer and teammate Sajko are members of the UVic Vikes varsity side and are joined this fall by now first-year Vikes Hogg, Struchtrup and Mittelsteadt. Goalkeeper Leech is off to compete for the Guelph Gryphons this fall in her first year.
The players traveling to Santiago are largely funding their own way there. If you can show your support for the island players please do so on their individual pages:
Sara Goodman (Cowichan Flickers/UBC Thunderbirds)
Nora Struchtrup (Sailors Club Mariners/UVic Vikes)
Stefanie Sajko (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Anna Mollenhauer (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Goalkeeper Decisions TBD
Nikki Leech (Cowichan Flickers/Guelph Gryphons)
Libby Hogg (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Maddie Mittelsteadt (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Birkley Anderson (Cowichan Flickers/UBC Thunderbirds)
Junior Pan American Championship
NextGen June Selection Camp wrap-up
NextGen Program Donation Page
- use the search bar to find specific athletes to support