News and Announcements
JOB POSTING: FHV Turf Coordinator
Field Hockey Victoria is looking for a new Turf Coordinator for start in September 2021. FHV would like to thank Tanya McKinney for fulfilling this role so dutifully since 2014.
Field Hockey Victoria (FHV) is the umbrella organization for the Victoria Junior Field Hockey Association (VJFHA), the Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association (VILFHA), the Vancouver Island Field Hockey Association (VIFHA) and the Umpires Association. One of the main responsibilities of this organization is to oversee the relationship and procedures for booking the artificial water-based field (Field 1) at the University of Victoria.
The FHV Turf Coordinator shall:
• Schedule bookings of all turf times for the field hockey community in Victoria, except UVic teams.
• Provide field use permit(s) to each group if needed.
• Provide a listing of booked times and available times on request to any group.
• Provide UVic Athletics and Recreation with all cancellations, revisions and requests as per agreement with UVic.
• Invoice user groups at least quarterly – in conjunction with the FHV Treasurer.
• Report to the Board as directed.
The successful candidate can demonstrate:
• An ability to schedule sports groups with competing needs using a priority matrix, required.
• Possess strong computer skills and up-to-date software, including email, Excel and Adobe Reader, required.
• Good communication and organizational skills, essential.
• Knowledge of the Victoria field hockey community, preferred.
• Be available each week throughout the year to manage the bookings and communication, required – local availability is not required as the duties can be conducted using email.
Appointment & Annual Review
• Appointment will be for one year commencing September 1, 2021
• Continuation of appointment with be subject to annual performance and suitability review by the FHV Board
• Preference will be given to candidates who do not currently sit on one of the Field Hockey Victoria members boards.
• Renumeration: $250 per month based on approximately 12 hours of work per month
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position via e-mail to Mark Baggott, President Field Hockey Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 22, 2021 at 11:59pm. All questions may also be directed to Mark at the above email address.
The document FHV-TurfCoordinator-Posting-2021.pdf was attached to this post.
Send words of encouragement to the Men's National Team
Cheering for the Men’s National Team but worried that shouting at your TV/computer/tablet isn’t quite doing it?
Show your support by sending some Road to Tokyo Fanmail.
GO TEAM CANADA!
Support Canada in Tokyo - Schedule, Roster
The 18-member Canadian men’s national team roster has been announced for the upcoming Tokyo Olympic games. The team leaves on Monday, July 12 for staging ahead of the 12-team tournament which kicks off on Jul. 24. Canada will face a pool that includes European greats Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and Great Britain, as well as South Africa.
There are many ways you can tune in and show your support for Team Canada in Tokyo.
Canada’s pool-play schedule: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
FIH Full schedule: http://fih.ch/media/13350272/fih_tokyo2020_hockeyinvites.pdf
Canada pool play:
Jul. 24: Canada vs Germany (3:00 PDT)
Jul. 25: Canada vs Great Britain (19:45 PDT)
Jul. 27: Canada vs Netherlands (4:45 PDT)
Jul. 28: Canada vs Belgium (18:00 PDT)
Jul. 29: Canada vs South Africa (20:15 PDT)
Send a message to Team Canada:
Field Hockey Canada is delighted to be sending off our Canadian Men’s National Team on their journey to Tokyo 2020 this Monday. In support of their journey, they have created a “Fan Mail” submission form for the purpose of gathering messages of encouragement that can be sent to them digitally during the Games.
Fill it out here:
The games will be broadcast on CBC and Field Hockey Canada will be hosting LIVE watch parties for you to join and watch with FHC fans across the country (and world!).
FHC Event Page: http://www.fieldhockey.ca/event/2020-olympic-games/
Go Canada go!
Photo Credit: Blair Shier
Support Island Junior National Team athletes
Four Vancouver Island athletes have been named to Canada’s women’s junior national team who head off to Santiago, Chile for the Pan American Junior Championships, August 21-28, 2021. A ticket to the Junior World Cup (2023) is on the line.
Duncan’s Sara Goodman along with Victoria’s Nora Struchtrup, Stefanie Sajko and Anna Mollenhauer were all named to the 16-member field player roster, while Niki Leech, of Duncan, is still waiting to hear about goalkeeper announcements.
All five athletes competed in a NextGen selection camp in Vancouver earlier in June along side Victoria’s Libby Hogg and Maddie Middlesteadt and Duncan’s Birkley Anderson – all three who were named to the Junior Pan Am Championship development team roster.
It was a positive showing that all eight island athletes that attended the selection camp were named to either the 18-person roster or the development squad.
Goodman and Anderson are both members of the UBC Thunderbirds varsity side with Goodman in her fourth year and Anderson in her first. Two-time U SPORTS reigning national champion Mollenhauer and teammate Sajko are members of the UVic Vikes varsity side and are joined this fall by now first-year Vikes Hogg, Struchtrup and Mittelsteadt. Goalkeeper Leech is off to compete for the Guelph Gryphons this fall in her first year.
The players traveling to Santiago are largely funding their own way there. If you can show your support for the island players please do so on their individual pages:
Sara Goodman (Cowichan Flickers/UBC Thunderbirds)
Nora Struchtrup (Sailors Club Mariners/UVic Vikes)
Stefanie Sajko (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Anna Mollenhauer (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Goalkeeper Decisions TBD
Nikki Leech (Cowichan Flickers/Guelph Gryphons)
Libby Hogg (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Maddie Mittelsteadt (Lynx 1/UVic Vikes)
Birkley Anderson (Cowichan Flickers/UBC Thunderbirds)
Junior Pan American Championship
NextGen June Selection Camp wrap-up
NextGen Program Donation Page
- use the search bar to find specific athletes to support
Summer Drop-in Field Hockey
The Sailors Field Hockey Club and Rebels Field Hockey Club are pleased to present summer drop-in field hockey for July and August 2021. This is co-ed pick-up hockey (ie. 7-aside or 11-aside games) and depending on level of players that arrive will be divided into competitive or recreational. This summer’s sessions are going to prioritize game play for adult-level league players who have not had any hockey this season.
PLEASE PRE-REGISTER EACH PARTICIPANT:
The pre-registration form is to ensure we have contact information for all interested personnel and to ensure that we can communicate the required health and safety protocols on a timely basis.
Tuesdays (7-8:30pm in July August) hosted by the Sailors Field Hockey Club
Thursday (7-8:30pm in July, 8-9:30pm in August) hosted by the Rebels Field Hockey Club
First dates: Tuesday, July 6 and Thursday July 8
Last dates: Tuesday, August 31 and Thursday August 26
- Location: UVic Field 1 (water-based turf)
- Time: Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before start time. You will not be permitted on to the field early and we are expected to leave the premises on time.
- Cost: $5 per session (cash due at the field prior to play)
- Age: 14 and up (target age is those that play in the men’s and women’s league already)
- Co-ed hockey (men and women)
- Field Max: A maximum of 50 players (including organizers, spectators and umpires) are allowed. We will turn people away if we hit the maximum.
- All players must be members in good standing with Field Hockey BC (ie. active and current membership)
- All participants who step foot on the field must fill out a COVID-19 attestation form (hard copy paper) per session. Any participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their form (no exceptions).
- All players must play with shin guards and mouth guards
Health and Safety:
- Make sure to print and sign your COVID attestation form before each session (no exceptions)
- Masks are optional
- Physical distancing is required outside the venue (fences) but not inside the venue.
Please note that if you do not currently have a FHBC Membership for the 2020-21 season, some positive news about registration for July/August and 2021-22 is coming, so don’t register before July 1. We will forward that information along as soon as it’s available.
Questions: Ali Baggott (email@example.com) or Jim Knight (firstname.lastname@example.org)